If you want to maintain the same folder structure in your new reference manager, you should export your citations from RefWorks one folder at a time.
It's recommended that you save each export file created below with the name of the folder, so each is easily identifiable when importing to your new reference manager.
- Login to your Legacy RefWorks account.
- Click the Organize & Share Folders tab and select a folder for export from the list.
- Select References > Export (upper left of screen)
- Choose the following options:
References to Include:
- All in List (If you have too many references, RefWorks will recommend you export them no more than 500 at a time)
- Select an Export Format: Bibliographic Software
- Your output will open in a separate browser window/tab and will resemble a text file.
- Use your browser's menu (icon in upper right) to save it as a text (.txt) file
- Make note of where you save the file, because you'll need it to import your citations into Zotero.